Upper Mustang Helicopter Trek:
The number of days required for Upper Mustang Helicopter Trek will be dispersed as::
- Trekking Days: 07 Days.
- Kathmandu Stay: 02 Days.
- Pokhara stay: 02 Days.
- Departure Day: 01 Day.
Upper Mustang Helicopter Trek takes you to one of the most amazing valley hidden behind the soaring snowy range of Dhaulagiri and Annapurna. Upper Mustang, the Lost Tibetan Kingdom and the desert of Nepal is really fascinating unlike any other trekking destination of Nepal. This 12 days trip gives you the most beautiful experience among the wind eroded canyons, very untouched setting and Tibetan Buddhism culture.
This ancient kingdom of Mustang was opened to the outside world only in 1992. It still remains the Forbidden City and needs a Special Trekking Permit from the immigration that costs USD $500 per person for 10 Days. 10 Days is the minimum number of days permit that is issued and will be charged USD $50 per person per day for further extension.
This 12 Upper Mustang Helicopter Trek is an epic journey to the most exclusive Upper Mustang and its timeless traditions. It holds a remarkable contrast with vast and barren Tibetan landscapes, ancient cliff hanging monasteries and native settlements with lush buckwheat fields. Upper Mustang is a source to the wildest river Kali Gandaki, also known as world’s deepest gorge. Furthermore, Mustang carries a abundant history and legends of Guru Padmasambhava, popularly known as Guru Rimpoche, the founder of the Tibetan Buddhism.
Upper Mustang Helicopter Trek Trip Summary:
We fly to Pokhara, the second home for the tourists where you have the opportunity to reward yourself with ample sporty activities. Next we have a stirring experience of flying through the world’s deepest gorge in a small plane to get the Jomsom which is situated at the height of 2700 m. We will walk the valley of Kali Gandaki to get to Kagbeni, another ancient settlement situated at the confluence. Soon we enter into the restricted area of Upper Mustang and trek through the most enchanting trail to the village of Chaile.
Gradually we get to the very untouched settlement of Tsarang with ample ancient Chortens and maze like village setting. By this time anyone would comprehend the glamour of travelling to upper Mustang. Eventually we get to Lo Manthang, the Capital of Upper Mustang. This walled city is special and unique on its own. Every year around the month of May and August the locals of Lo celebrates the most prominent festival called the Tiji festival. Thousands of trekker from around the world including the locals tourists come to witness this famous festival.
Next day flying back in a Helicopter through the gorge of Kali Gandaki to Pokhara is a breathtaking experience. Besides the aerial view of the Forbidden Kingdom of Mustang you get to see the entire Annapurna massif soaring high up in the sky. Next flying back to Pokhara through the deepest gorge with the view of two worlds highest mountain, Annapurna and Dhaulagiri is another attraction.
- DAY 01: Arrive in Kathmandu (1400 m/4,593 ft) - The Capital City of Nepal
- DAY 02: Fly to Pokhara (820 m/2690 ft) / Hotel Accommodation.
- DAY 03: Fly to Jomsom (2720 m/8,923 ft) and trek to Kagbeni (2810,m/ 9,219,ft) 3 - 4 Hours / Village Tour
- DAY 04: Trek to Chele (3050 m/10,006 ft) - 6 - 7 Hours
- DAY 05: Trek to Syangboche (3800 m/12,467 ft) 5 - 6 Hours
- DAY 06: Trek to Ghami (3520 m/11,548 ft) 5 Hours
- DAY 07: Trek to Tsarang (3560 m/11,679 ft) 4 Hours
- DAY 08: Trek to Lo Manthang (3800 m/12,467 ft) - The Ancient Walled City - 4 - 5 Hours
- DAY 09: Rest day at Lo Manthang / Side Excursions.
- DAY 10: Chartered Helicopter to Pokhara - Hotel Accommodation at Pokhara
- DAY 11: Fly to Kathmandu in a Regular Flight - 25 Minutes
- DAY 12: Departure Day - Transfer to the International Airport
THE ABOVE ITINERARY IS SIMPLY A GUIDELINE AND IS SUBJECT TO ALTERATION AS PER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. YOUR GROUP LEADER IS SOLELY LIABLE TO BRING ABOUT CHANGES IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE GROUP.
While trekking in the area of Upper Mustang the legends and ancient history unfolds before you with ample excursions into the ancient monasteries, ancient palaces and the caves that gives you the history of pre historic settlements or the caves that are now used as burial chamber or a place for enlightenment. However, to explore these mysterious places the Mustang Authorities charges an entrance fee which is to be shouldered by the travelers. Travelers are also to bear the cost of any transportation facility used such as jeep or horses in any of distant side excursion.
SECURITY FOR UPPER MUSTANG RESTRICTED AREA:
Flying Helicopter to the restricted area of Upper Mustang requires special permits. The Helicopter personal are to exhibit this special permit at JOMSOM, the Administrative center of Mustang. After certain inspection when they are permitted to fly to Upper Mustang – for security purpose the Helicopter are to take one of Police Personal to Mustang for reporting and again get him back to Jomsom. All this requires certain time frame which might cause time setbacks as compared to the time provided by your leader. However, your group leader will always in touch with the pilots and will update you of any situations that may arise out of time delays, weather or any natural circumstances.
🌟 Delightful flight to Pokhara with picturesque view, beautiful landscape, gorges, and farming terraces along with mountain panorama.
🌟 Pokhara (820 m), the second biggest city also very popularly known as the second home of the tourists is the land of extravagant beauty that triggers excitement despite its 6 hours drive.
🌟 The beautiful Phewa Lake and the magnificence of the Himalayas mounting at the backdrop create an atmosphere of peace and delight.
🌟 Flying in a small plane to Jomsom airport 2720 m through the worlds deepest gorge, Kali Gandaki is simply phenomenal.
🌟 Walking along the Kali Gandaki gorge that dates back to 80 million years old with stunning barren, untouched landscape and getting to antique settlement of Kagbeni is more than anything else.
🌟 With the dramatic backdrop of snow white Nilgiri you enter the land of ammonites. With the dramatic setting of the landscape and through the wind eroded hills you witness thousands of natural caves now used for varied purpose.
🌟 The colorful landscapes, very primeval house architecture, and the smiling people are simply unique. Tsarang, the land of Chortens is remarkable.
🌟 The 14th century walled city of Lo Manthang holds loads of history and legends.
🌟 Jeep safari to Chhosar and visiting a 2000 year old cave that gives you the history of pre historic human settlements and the ancient Nyphu cave monastery is equally fascinating.
🌟 Helicopter tour from Lo-Manthang to Pokhara is an epic adventure.
DAY 01: IN KATHMANDU (1400 m/4,593 ft)
Soon you land in Kathmandu airport your group leader will be there to greet you and transfer you to the hotel. You will be scheduled for Trek briefing and equipment distribution by your leader probably around afternoon. You will be directed to the traditional authentic Nepal kitchen for the welcome dinner.
- Pick up from the international airport.
- It’s quite remarkable to see the lively activities around while driving to the hotel.
- Transfer to the hotel by your Group Leader.
- Arriving early gives you ample opportunity to explore the bustling town of Thamel.
- Trek briefing and equipment distribution in the afternoon.
- Welcome dinner and getting to know each other.
DAY 02: FLY TO POKHARA (820 m/2690 ft) / HOTEL ACCOMMODATION.
Early flight to the Lake City of Pokhara, the second biggest city and the paradise city of the trekkers. You will have ample time to explore the Lake City. There is much to do in Pokhara including shopping, paragliding, zip-lining, bungee jumping and many more.
- Pokhara (820 m), the second biggest city also very popularly known as the second home of the tourists is the land of extravagant beauty is very exciting.
- The beautiful Phewa Lake and the magnificence of the Himalayas mounting at the backdrop create an atmosphere of peace and delight.
- Being in Pokhara unlike Kathmandu will definitely add more excitement to your anticipation
DAY 03: FLY TO JOMSOM (2720 m/8,923 ft) AND TREK TO KAGBENI (2810 m/ 9,219 ft). WALK 3 - 4 hrs
We wake up quite early this morning to catch a flight to Jomsom, the district headquarters of Mustang. This short flight takes you through the world’s deepest Kali Gandaki Gorge with the glorious view of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri is exceptional.
- 20 minutes breathtaking flight to the windy valley of Jomsom is unbelievable.
- Great view with dozens of Himalayan giants poking into the sky.
Witness the Kali Gandaki river which dates back to 80 million old flowing from Tibetan Plateau.
- After morning tea walk to Kagbeni, the gateway of Upper Mustang through the ancient salt trade trail is unique.
- Easy walk, lunch at Kagbeni itself – and after lunch excursion around the antique village of Kagbeni which is not to be missed.
DAY 04: TREK TO CHELE (3050 m/10,006 ft) (enter into the restricted upper Mustang area) WALK 6 - 7 Hrs
Having completed the permit formalities today we enter the restricted area of Upper Mustang. As said to be the desert of Nepal the valley widens with barren and arid surroundings with green villages in the middle that appears more like a mirage which is simply incredible.
- Walking on the extended trail with Kagbeni and Nilgiri mountain at the backdrop is dazzling.
- Witness the different part of the world, the land of ammonites (pre historic stone) with striking views.
- The stretch of Kali Gandaki river bed gives u the ancient history of its existence.
- The dramatic setting of the landscape with canyons and wind eroded hills is phenomenal.
- Lunch at Tangbe or Chhusang, another ancient village.
- Chele is a small beautiful settlement from where u can overlook the valley with its picturesque setting.
DAY 05: TREK TO SYANGBUCHE (3800 m/ 12,467 ft) 5-6 hrs.
Today’s walk is more into undulating trails with couple of steep climb and descents. Despite 6 hour walk the tremendous canyons with its unusual color that opens out is extraordinary. In this bizarre the farming fields with rich red buckwheat and brilliant green and the south view offering you a panorama of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Tilicho Peak, and YakawaKang adds up to its magnificence.
- The initial steep walk through the hill cut trail in one of these tremendous canyons is remarkable.
- You would witness the sky caves which date back more than 3000 years that were used as human settlement, burial chambers and now lama hermit retreats.
- Lunch at the small settlement of Bhena which is now a jeep station but with fabulous scenic beauty.
- Climb up to the pass before dropping down to Syangboche is remarkable for its unexpected views.
- Syangboche is small settlement deep into the valley but has a theatrical setting.
DAY 06: TREK TO GHAMI (3,520 m/ 11,548 ft) 5 hrs.
From Syangboche we climb gently to a small pass of 3800m/12,467ft with extraordinary views of mountains and deep valleys into the wind eroded canyons. Today’s walk is effortless with few short climbs in between but beautiful scenery alongside would hardly allow us to realize the passing away of time and arrive at Ghami for lunch.
- Endless colorful gullies to the north, east and west which is outstanding.
South is still dominated by the soaring peak of Nilgiri, Tilicho and Annapurna.
- After lunch free afternoon to explore Ghami, the ancient village with time honored monastery, Chortens and Mani (prayer) walls.
DAY 07: TREK TO TSARANG (3560 m/11,679 ft) 4 hrs.
This short trek to Tsarang takes us into the ‘Land of Chortens”. This trail marks the history and legend of the Indian saint Padmasambhava (750-810 AD), the founder of Tibetan Buddhism who created a fusion of Buddhism with the original Shamanistic religion of Tibet called Bon – whose influence upon the Indian Buddhism makes Tibetan Buddhism so fascinating.
- Half an hour walk from Ghami we see the Longest ancient mani wall of Mustang.
- The soaring red cliff to the west that tells you the legends of Padmasambhaba is intriguing.
- 4 hours walk brings you to the fascinating big village of Tsarang that just looks dramatic.
- After lunch visit to the ancient Monastery and the white palace of Tsarang which is their heritage.
- Self-exploration around maze like Tsarang is worth it.
DAY 08: TREK TO LO MANTHANG (3800 m/ 12,467 ft) 4 - 5 hrs.
Finally we get to the plateau of Lo Monthang, the fabled walled city of Lo people and ‘The Capital city’ of Mustang. Lo Manthang contains about 150 houses and has some of the largest and finest Tibetan Buddhism gompas in Nepal. The city itself is absolutely fascinating place with four major ancient Monasteries which are impressive and an enormous 14th century palace imposing 4-storey building in the center of the city.
- Fascinating solitary ancient chorten in the middle of the road after hour and a half walk from Tsarang.
- The spectacular view of Lo Manthang, valley of Thinkar and Chhosar from 4000 m pass of Lo-La.
- View of varied historical ruined forts on the high hills is one of the highlights.
- After lunch exploration into the legendary walled city of Lo.
DAY 09: REST DAY IN LO MANTHANG AND EXPLORE CHHOSAR:
Today we would do a jeep excursion to the ancient cave that has about 44 compartments and gives you the history of pre historic human settlements. Next attraction is Nyphu cave monastery built in the high cliff wall that dates back to 14th century
Highlights and Excursions:
- After breakfast your leader will organize a jeep for Chhosar excursion.
What u see in Chhosar:
- Nyphu Cave monastery built into the side of a soaring cliff.
- 2500 years old Jhong Sky Cave that has more than 44 compartments and gives u the pre-historic settlement of humans.
DAY 10: CHARTERED HELICOPTER TO POKHARA
After breakfast we will take the Chartered Helicopter to Pokhara. Upper Mustang being the restricted area one police personal for security reason will accompany you to Mustang and while exiting from Upper Mustang as well. While flying from Lo-Manthang helicopters are compulsorily need to land at Jomsom airport for security inspection. This is to say we will have some time in Jomsom airport first and then fly to Pokhara.
- Flying from Lo-Manthang in a Heli is outstanding.
- It is very exciting to witness the view of the Upper Mustang landscapes that appears in different colors.
- Flying from Jomsom to Pokhara is yet another fascination.
- The view of two worlds highest peak, Annapurna and Dhaulagiri emerges with its magnificence.
- Enjoy you time in the most beautiful Lake City of Pokhara.
DAY 11: FLY TO KATHMANDU
Sensational flight back to the capital city of Kathmandu with the beautiful panoramic Mountain View to your left. In case of early flight you can explore the capital city that has so much to offer.
- Morning flight to Kathmandu
- Explore the Capital City of Kathmandu as per your requirements.
DAY 12: DEPARTURE DAY - TRANSFER TO THE AIRPORT
Depending on your flight schedule airport transportation will be provided. You will be accompanied by your leader to the airport.
Dates & Cost
✅ Mustang special permit and National Park Permits.
✅ Helicopter as per the package/itinerary
✅ Airport pickups and drops facility on both Domestic and International flights.
✅ Luxury hotel Accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara on Bed / Breakfast basis.
✅ Welcome dinner in a typical traditional Nepali restaurant.
✅ All Government and Local tax.
✅ Domestic flights from Kathmandu/Pokhara and Pokhara/Kathmandu.
✅ Fundamental trekking gears like sleeping bag, down jacket fleece liner etc.
✅ All Ground transportation by private vehicle as per the itinerary.
✅ Tea-house accommodation.
✅ Properly boiled hot water for drinking every morning and evening.
✅ Meals (Lunch, dinner, breakfast with hot beverages) during trek.
✅ An accomplished trekking Group Leader and assistant guides.
✅ All Ground STAFF – their ALLOWANCES and INSURANCE.
✅ Oxygen cylinders and an all-inclusive medical kit on all trips.
✅ Take away Nepal Pyramids duffel bag, T-shirt, Buff (multi functional head-wear) and trekking Map.
✅ Local staff insurance.
✅ Porter service.
✅ Porters’ Clothing.
❌ Fee levied on Nepali visa.
❌ All entrance fee in Lo Manthang and Jeep/Horse used for side excursions.
❌ All personal expenses including Food while in Kathmandu/Pokhara.
❌ International flight fares.
❌ Medical examination or emergency rescues.
❌ Staff Tipping.
❌ Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu on early arrival.
❌ Travel or medical insurance.
❌ Optional tours and sightseeing or any activities during free time.
❌ Other personal expenses – laundry, battery charges, shower etc.