Mustang August Festival Trek:
The number of days required for Mustang August Festival Trek Trek will be dispersed as:
• Trekking Days: 12 Days.
• Kathmandu Stay: 03 Days.
• Pokhara stay: 02 Days.
• Departure Day: 01 Day.
Make sure to confirm the dates of the August festival as it is based on the Tibetan calendar and the moon phase which changes occasionally.
August, the month when trekking season ends for the rest of the destination in Nepal due to harsh summer monsoon. However, Mustang opens its door for trekkers in this particular off season being it a rain-shadow area. The Mustang August festival trek provides you with ample opportunity to enjoy Mustang in full unlike the Tiji Festival of May. Much like Tiji festival occurring in the month of May, August festival too is “prayer for world peace”. It is an an annual event of the native to honor the victory over evil. Unlike Tiji festival there is not much rush and the maddening crowd yet very fascinating. However, anyone can make the most out of it with ample opportunity to witness this marvelous celebration.
The celebration of this three days religious ceremony is fundamentally to strengthen the hope of the people of Lo. The native have faith over the legends of a deity being reborn and bringing an end to all the evils and suffering. To mark this, monks in their colorful costumes and masks dance to the soothing rhythm which is simply magical.
Upper Mustang, The Treasured Beauty:
This ancient kingdom of Mustang which was open to the outside world only in 1992 is one of the most astonishing valley hidden behind the soaring snowy range of Dhaulagiri and ANNAPURNA. A journey to Mustang is a journey of remarkable contrasts with vast and barren Tibetan landscapes and unharmed culture. It delivers century’s old cliff hanging monasteries, cultured settlements with lush rice fields, and timeless traditions. The Mustang August Festival Trek takes you into the deep magical Mustang that appears more like a Grand Canyon. Furthermore It is a forbidden kingdom and a source to the world’s deepest gorge, Kali Gandaki which is simply phenomenal. Mustang also gives you ample account on Guru Padmasambhava, popularly known as Guru Rimpoche, the founder of the Tibetan Buddhism.
While trekking in the area of Upper Mustang the legends and ancient history unfolds before you with ample excursions. This includes tours into the ancient monasteries, ancient palaces and the caves that gives you the history of prehistoric settlements. All these sky caves that you see are now used as burial chamber or a place for enlightenment. However, to explore these mysterious places the Mustang Authorities charges an entrance fee which the travelers are to shoulder the cost. Travelers are also to bear the cost of any transportation facility used such as jeep or horses in any of distant side excursion.
Join Nepal Pyramids for Mustang August Festival trek to comprehend this ancient kingdom in full.
- DAY 01: Arrive to Kathmandu (1,400 m/4,593 ft)
- DAY 02: Half day city tour/ afternoon trek briefing and preparation / welcome dinner.
- DAY 03: Drive to Pokhara (820 m/2,690 ft)
- DAY 04: Fly to Jomsom (2,720 m/8,923 ft) and trek to Kagbeni (2,800 m/9,186 ft)
- DAY 05: Trek to Chele (3,050 m/10,006 ft)
- DAY 06: Trek to Syangboche (3,800 m/12,467 ft)
- DAY 07: Trek to Ghami (3,520 m/11,548 ft)
- DAY 08: Trek to Tsarang (3,560 m/11,679 ft)
- DAY 09: Trek to Lo Manthang (3,800 m/12,467 ft)
- DAY 10: Exploration and witness the festival.
- DAY 11: Closing ceremony.
- DAY 12: Trek to Ghami (3,520 m/11,548 ft) via Ghar Gompa.
- DAY 13: Trek to Samar (3,660 m/12,007 ft)
- DAY 14: Trek to Chhuksang Drive to Kagbeni (2,810 m/ 9,219 ft). and exit the restricted area of Mustang
- DAY 15: Trek to Jomsom (2,720 m/8,923 ft)
- DAY 16: Fly to Pokhara and overnight stay
- DAY 17: Fly to Kathmandu (as preferred)
- DAY 18: Departure day/ transfer to the international airport.
The above itinerary is simply a guideline and is subject to alteration as per the circumstances. Your Group Leader is solely liable to bring about changes in the best interest of the group.
⭐ The early drive to Pokhara through the unfamiliar slender highway is special with its picturesque view, beautiful landscape, gorges, and farming terraces along with a glimpse of snow-clad mountains at the backdrop.
⭐ Pokhara (820 m), the second biggest city also very popularly known as the second home of the tourists is the land of extravagant beauty that triggers excitement despite its 6 hours’ drive.
⭐ The beautiful Phewa Lake and the magnificence of the Himalayas mounting at the backdrop create an atmosphere of peace and delight.
⭐ Flying in a small plane to Jomsom airport 2720 m is simply phenomenal. Walking on the ancient trail along the Kali Gandaki gorge that dates back to 80 million years old with stunning barren, untouched landscape and getting to antique settlement of Kagbeni is more than anything else.
⭐ With the dramatic backdrop of snow white Nilgiri you enter the land of ammonites. With the dramatic setting of the landscape and through the wind eroded hills you witness thousands of natural caves now used for varied purpose.
⭐ The colorful landscapes, very primeval house architecture, and the smiling people are simply unique. Tsarang, the land of Chortens is remarkable. The 14th century walled city of Lo Manthang holds loads of history and legends. The 2000 year old cave of Chhosar gives you the history of prehistoric human settlements.
⭐ Witnessing the August Festival is another quest to comprehend the culture of Mustang with all the colorful dancing and playing of instruments.
⭐ Ghar Gompa, the first ever monastery build by Padmasambhava around 7th century is mesmerizing and visit to this monastery is once a lifetime opportunity.
DAY 1: IN KATHMANDU (1400 m/4593 ft)
Soon you land in Kathmandu airport your group leader will be there to greet you and transfer you to the hotel.
• Pick up from the international airport.
• It’s quite remarkable to see the lively activities around while driving to the hotel.
• Transfer to the hotel by your Group Leader.
• Arriving early gives you ample opportunity to explore the bustling town of Thamel.
DAY 2: CULUTRAL TOUR / TREK PREPARATION
Today would be the most exhilarating day where your leader introduces you to our city tour expert who guides you to the most pious Hindu and Buddhist religious place that are listed in the world heritage sites and elucidates you the entire mysticism over its existence.
• We explore the sights and sounds of world heritage sites in Kathmandu.
• Witness the traditional cremation at sacred Hindu temple of Pashupatinath.
• Visit Boudhanath, one of the largest spherical Stupas in Nepal
• Trek briefing and equipment distribution in the afternoon.
• Welcome dinner and getting to know each other.
DAY 3: DRIVE TO POKHARA
The early drive to Pokhara through the unfamiliar slender highway is special with its picturesque view, beautiful landscape, gorges, and farming terraces along with a glimpse of snow-clad mountains at the backdrop.
• Pokhara (820 m), the second biggest city also very popularly known as the second home of the tourists is the land of extravagant beauty that triggers excitement despite its 6 hours’ drive.
• The beautiful Phewa Lake and the magnificence of the Himalayas mounting at the backdrop create an atmosphere of peace and delight.
• Being in Pokhara unlike Kathmandu will definitely add more excitement to your anticipation
DAY 04: FLY TO JOMSOM (2,720 m/8,923 ft) AND TREK TO KAGBENI (2810m/ 9219ft). WALK 3 hrs
We wake up quite early this morning to catch a flight to Jomsom, the district headquarters of Mustang. This short flight takes you through the world’s deepest Kali Gandaki Gorge with the glorious view of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri is exceptional.
• 20 minutes breathtaking flight to the windy valley of Jomsom is unbelievable.
• Great view with dozens of Himalayan giants poking into the sky.
• Witness the Kali Gandaki river which dates back to 80 million old flowing from Tibetan Plateau.
• After morning tea walk to Kagbeni, the gateway of Upper Mustang through the ancient salt trade trail is unique.
• Easy walk, lunch at Kagbeni itself – and after lunch excursion around the antique village of Kagbeni which is not to be missed.
DAY 05: TREK TO CHELE (3,050 m/10,006 ft) (enter into the restricted upper Mustang area) WALK 7 hrs
Having completed the permit formalities today we enter the restricted area of Upper Mustang. As said to be the desert of Nepal the valley widens with barren and arid surroundings with green villages in the middle that appears more like a mirage which is simply incredible.
• Walking on the extended trail with Kagbeni and Nilgiri mountain at the backdrop is dazzling.
• Witness the different part of the world, the land of ammonites (prehistoric stone) with striking views.
• The stretch of Kali Gandaki river bed gives u the ancient history of its existence.
• The dramatic setting of the landscape with canyons and wind eroded hills is phenomenal.
• Lunch at Tangbe or Chhusang, another ancient village.
• Chele is a small beautiful settlement from where u can overlook the valley with its picturesque setting.
DAY 06: TREK TO SYANGBUCHE (3,800 m/ 12,467 ft) 5-6 hrs.
Today’s walk is more into undulating trails with couple of steep climb and descents. Despite 6 hour walk the tremendous canyons with its unusual color that opens out is extraordinary. In this bizarre the farming fields with rich red buckwheat and brilliant green and the south view offering you a panorama of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Tilicho Peak, and YakawaKang adds up to its magnificence.
• The initial steep walk through the hill cut trail in one of these tremendous canyons is remarkable.
• You would witness the sky caves which date back more than 3000 years that were used as human settlement, burial chambers and now lama hermit retreats.
• Lunch at the small settlement of Bhena which is now a jeep station but with fabulous scenic beauty.
• Climb up to the pass before dropping down to Syangboche is remarkable for its unexpected views.
• Syangboche is small settlement deep into the valley but has a theatrical setting.
DAY 07: TREK TO GHAMI (3520 m/ 11,548 ft) 5 hrs.
From Syangboche we climb gently to a small pass of 3800 m/12,467 ft with extraordinary views of mountains and deep valleys into the wind eroded canyons. Today’s walk is effortless with few short climbs in between but beautiful scenery alongside would hardly allow us to realize the passing away of time and arrive at Ghami for lunch.
• Endless colorful gullies to the north, east and west which is outstanding.
• South is still dominated by the soaring peak of Nilgiri, Tilicho and Annapurna.
• After lunch free afternoon to explore Ghami, the ancient village with time honored monastery, Chortens and Mani (prayer) walls.
DAY 08: TREK TO TSARANG (3560 m/11,679 ft) 4 hrs.
This short trek to Tsarang takes us into the ‘Land of Chortens”. This trail marks the history and legend of the Indian saint Padmasambhava (750-810 AD), the founder of Tibetan Buddhism who created a fusion of Buddhism with the original Shamanistic religion of Tibet called Bon – whose influence upon the Indian Buddhism makes Tibetan Buddhism so fascinating.
• Half an hour walk from Ghami we see the Longest ancient Mani wall of Mustang.
• The soaring red cliffs to the west that tells you the legends of Padmasambhaba is intriguing.
• 4 hours walk brings you to the fascinating big village of Tsarang that just looks dramatic.
• After lunch visit to the ancient Monastery and the white palace of Tsarang which is their heritage.
• Self exploration around maze like Tsarang is worth it.
DAY 09: TREK TO LO MANTHANG AND TIJI OPENING CEREMONY (3800 m/ 12,467 ft) 4 - 5 hrs.
Finally we get to the plateau of Lo Monthang, the fabled walled city of Lo people and ‘The Capital city’ of Mustang. Lo Manthang contains about 150 houses and has some of the largest and finest Tibetan Buddhism gompas in Nepal. The city itself is absolutely fascinating place with four major ancient Monasteries which are impressive and an enormous 14th century palace imposing 4-storey building in the center of the city.
• Fascinating solitary ancient chorten in the middle of the road after hour and a half walk from Tsarang.
• The spectacular view of Lo Manthang, valley of Thinkar and Chhosar from 4000 m pass of Lo-La.
• View of varied historical ruined forts on the high hills is one of the highlights.
• After lunch exploration into the legendary walled city of Lo.
• Witness the opening ceremony of August Festival.
DAY 10: REST DAY IN LO MANTHANG AND EXPLORE CHHOSAR:
Today we would do a jeep excursion to the ancient cave that has about 44 compartments and gives you the history of prehistoric human settlements. Next attraction is Nyphu cave monastery built in the high cliff wall that dates back to 14th century
Highlights and Excursions:
After breakfast your leader will organize a jeep for Chhosar excursion.
What u see in Chhosar:
• Nyphu Cave monastery built into the side of a soaring cliff.
• 2500 years old Jhong Sky Cave that has more than 44 compartments and gives u the prehistoric settlement of humans.
• Free afternoon to enjoy more of the Festival
DAY 11: IN LO MANTHANG
After breakfast your group leader will organize excursion to the four major ancient monastery inside the walled city that were built at the same time the palace was built in 14th century. These monasteries hold exquisite paintings that are valuable for which the restoration is going on since ages to repair the washed off paintings.
• Excursion to the four major ancient masteries inside the walled city.
• Witness the closing ceremony.
DAY 12: TREK TO GHAMI (3520 m/11,548 ft) VIA GHAR GOMPA (3800 m/ 12,467 ft) 8- 9 hrs.
Today we will walk different west terrain which offers you the most beautiful view despite few steep down hill trials. We visit the world’s oldest Tibetan monastery Ghar Gompa built around 7th century by the incarnated monk Padmasambhava where we will have lunch. We continue a different valley with magnificent view of red cliffs to Dhakmar and to the village of Ghami.
• We take a different trail that leads us to the world’s oldest monastery, Ghar Gompa.
• The views of landscape and the mountain in the south is mesmerizing.
• Lunch at 7th century monastery is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
• Walk to Dhakmar is thrilling with different trail high above the canyons and eroded hills.
• Dhakmar, a land of red cliffs is one of its kind where a break is worth.
DAY 13: TREK TO SAMAR (3660 m/12,007 ft)
We trace back to the village of Syanboche for lunch where on the way back you have ample opportunity to look back into the missed out views. We climb the pass and had to the village of Samar and stay overnight.
DAY 14: TREK TO CHHUSANG (3040 m/ 9,973 ft) 3 hrs. AND DRIVE TO KAGBENI (2810 m/ 9219 ft) AND EXIT THE RESTRICTED AREA OF MUSTANG.
We again trace back our trail towards south.
• Descending down to the Chhusang with a great view of Nilgiri and a wide stretch of Kali Gandaki is significant.
• Chhusang is another pretty old village with apple orchard, there are too many Nepali and Tibetan songs sung portraying the beauty of Chhusang.
• Drive in a local bus to Kagbeni is another adventurous quest.
• We exit from the restricted area of Mustang and stay overnight in Kagbeni
DAY 15: TREK TO JOMSOM (2720 m/8,923 ft)
This morning we start early to avoid the tough Mustang wind that usually triggers early. We trace back the same trail.
• Being it a last night fun activities follows with dancing, eating, drinking and tipping the local staff.
DAY 16: FLY TO POKHARA
We take an early morning flight from Jomsom to Pokhara. We fly right into the deepest gorge in the world, Kali Gandaki with striking view of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges. Overnight stay in the lake city of Pokhara. Your group leader will assist with the side excursion, if any, as per your requirements.
• We say final goodbye to our local trekking crew who would be driving to Kathmandu.
DAY 17: FLY TO KATHMANDU
Today we will fly to Kathmandu with the beautiful panoramic Mountain View to your left.
DAY 18: TRANSFER TO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Depending on your flight schedule airport transportation will be provided. Your leader will be there to send you off home.
Dates & Cost
|Trip Start Date||Trip End Date||Price||Status|
|US$ 2200||Book Now|
✅ National park entry fees, conservation fees, trekking permit, TIMS permit.
✅ Mustang special permit.
✅ Airport pickups and drops facility on both Domestic and International flights.
✅ Three star twin bed sharing hotel Accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara on Bed / Breakfast basis.
✅ Welcome dinner in a typical traditional Nepali restaurant.
✅ Half day guided city sightseeing with paid entrance fee.
✅ All Government and Local tax.
✅ Flight from Pokhara/Jomsom, Jomsom/Pokhara and from Pokhara to Kathmandu.
✅ Fundamental trekking gears like sleeping bag, down jacket fleece liner etc.
✅ All Ground transportation to and from preferred destination as per the itinerary.
✅ Tea-house accommodation or tented camp as per the trek.
✅ Properly boiled hot water for drinking every morning and evening.
✅ Meals (Lunch, dinner, breakfast with hot beverages) during trek.
✅ An accomplished trekking Group Leader and assistant guides.
✅ Oxygen cylinders and an all-inclusive medical kit on all trips.
✅ Take away Nepal Pyramids duffel bag, T-shirt, Buff (multi functional head-wear) and trekking Map.
✅ Local staff insurance.
✅ Porter service.
✅ Porters’ Clothing.
❌ Fee levied on Nepali visa.
❌ All entrance fee in Upper Mustang and Jeep/Horse used for side excursions.
❌ All personal expenses including Food while in Kathmandu/Pokhara.
❌ International flight fares.
❌ Medical examination or emergency rescues.
❌ Staff Tipping.
❌ Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu on early arrival.
❌ Travel or medical insurance.
❌ Optional tours and sightseeing or any activities during free time.
❌ Other personal expenses – laundry, battery charges, shower etc.